Hold Mail is a service provided by Canada Post to those customers who are not available to receive the mail delivered. These customers may be away for a vacation or some business purpose and they can be assured that their mail is safe and secure with Canada Post until they return using Hold Mail services. Hold Mail services extend to business and residential customers and the mail is held based on who is requesting for the same. So the time period will vary. For residential customers, the mail is held for 10 weekdays or two weeks for the minimum price and for business customers the mail is held for 5 weekdays or a week for the minimum price. A customer, business or residential can request for their mail to be held for shorter periods of time or request for a renewal before their previous service expires on Hold Mail (based on residential or business). The renewal fee will depend on the present service fee that it was at the time of renewal. The sender and the recipient of the mail must share the same address irrespective of the order being residential or business.
Residential Requests and Business Requests
There are two service options available for customers who are making residential requests using Hold Mail services.
- The first service is known as the All Residents service which can be used by a particular customer in order to ensure that no one residing at his or her residential address needs to receive the mail while it is on hold. The customer doesn’t have to disclose any information regarding the recipient.
- The second service is known as Some Residents service which can be used by a particular customer in order to ensure that only certain residing members of his or her residential address will receive the mail while it is on hold. The customer can give up to four such names with the first and the last name of each of these members.
A customer making a business request should or can provide two business names and two individual names minimum.
Hold Post Changes and Cancellation
- A customer can modify, change or cancel his or her hold service online or at a post office by making use of the email address provided if it is online or by presenting the original receipt, a photo ID issued by a government acceptable source and a proof of authorization if it is at the Post Office. A customer will not get a refund in the case of a Hold Mail cancellation.
- A customer should beware that in the case of a cancellation or an expiration of the Hold Mail service, the mail will be delivered to the provided address as per their terms and conditions. If the mail is too heavy to be delivered or left at the delivery spot, the recipient of the mail will be given a delivery notice so he or she can come and pick it up from the post office.
- A customer can also come early and pick up their mail before the Hold Mail service expires. The service will be canceled accordingly in such cases.
Hold Mail Restrictions
A customer cannot make use of Hold Mail services if the mail is being sent to them from certain places. These places can be business companies, hotels, motels, rooming homes, nursing homes, hospitals, schools or other educational institutions, private-managed postal boxes, or when the postal address is shared by the customer. In the case of a mail being sent from a rural route address, then the All Residents service option will not be available in Hold Mail.